← See all Middle School Lessons.
World of Work
Designed for students in grades eight and nine, this lesson introduces minors to the vocabulary and concepts necessary to understanding their rights as an employee. Topics include: gross vs. net pay, deductions, hourly vs. salary, weekly vs. biweekly, and basic labor laws for students their age. They will discuss the process to obtain working papers and learn how to read an earnings statement.
- 6.5: Income, Profit, and Wealth
- 6.5.6.G: Identify the costs and benefits of saving
- 11.1.6: Family Consumer Science, know the relationship of the components of a simple spending plan and how that relationship allows for managing income, expenses, and savings.
Career, Education, and Work Standards:
- 18.104.22.168: Evaluate resources available in researching job opportunities
- 13.2.8.E: Explain, in the career acquisition process, the importance of essential workplace skills and knowledge
- 13.3.8.D: Analyze budgets and pay statements